- When did you first start writing?
Well, I wrote fan-fic for the Girl From U.N.C.L.E when I was really, really young. Probably still in the womb. I don't recall exactly. (I suppose half of those reading this have never heard of that show . . . ) But I didn't start seriously writing until somewhere around . . . . I'm not good with dates. Maybe 1990 or '91.
- What is your favorite part of the writing process?
The ending. Love, love, love writing the climax and resolution.
- Have you always been interested in the Paranormal?
My first two, forever-under-the-bed books were science fiction--or so I thought. The only comment I received after submitting the first one to many, many publishers was, "This is really a romance." So I guess I've blended fantasy and romance right from the start.
- Why writing Urban Fantasy?
I was coming up with urban fantasy ideas before the term--or the market--existed. For quite awhile, no one wanted to look at them. Now they do.
- Were there any Books, Movies or Writers that have inspired you?
So many I can't give a decent list, but a couple authors that float to the top right now are Charlaine Harris, Sharon Shinn, and JD Robb. Okay, that's three, not a couple, but like I said, there are so many. I could add Rex Stout and Dorothy Dunnett. My books are nothing like theirs, but I learned to love series from reading Stout's Nero Wolf books as a kid. And who isn't inspired by Dunnett?
- What is your favorite subject in the Urban Fantasy Realm?
I don't think I have one. FWIW, as soon as I finish these questions I'll dive back into Karen Chance's DEATH'S MISTRESS, which features a dhampir. I've got Resnick's DOPPLEGANGSTER in my TBR pile. I just finished Butcher's FIRST LORD'S FURY. And I can't wait for the next Lois McMaster Bujold book, whatever it is. --I should have listed her as among my inspirations. Oh, well, consider her added.
- The sex scenes in your books are so hot. Where do you get your inspiration?
I'm glad you think so! I'm always surprised when people tell me I write hot. I never think of it that way. I suppose Lily is inspired by Rule, and she determines the heat level.
- Do you find it hard to write them?
No harder than any other type of scene--which means sometimes they flow beautifully right from the start, and sometimes each word comes out about as easily as pulling a tooth.
- Favorite Paranormal themed Movie?
I'm a Harry Potter fan.
- Favorite Paranormal themed TV Show?
- Favorite Paranormal themed Book?
Impossible to answer.
- Favorite Urban Fantasy Author?
Just one? You're kidding, right?
- Favorite one of your Books?
The one I'm working on now. When I finish it, it will remain my favorite until I start the next one. When it comes to writing, I always love the one I'm with.
- Who is your favorite of your own characters?
Grandmother. I want to be her when I grow up.
- Which was the hardest to write?
Sam. He's a dragon. He can speak our language and understands it beautifully, but he is not human. I am.
- What would you be if not a writer?
- Coffee or Tea?
- Up or Down?
- Virtual or Real?
- Right or Left?
Is this a political question, or handedness? I'm right-handed.
- Vampires or The Lupi ?
Lol--the lupi, of course.
- Reading or Writing?
In a daily way, I write much more than I read. But my writing would wither away if I couldn't read. There's no either/or possible for me.
- What is your favorite part of the writing process?
I love it when something--a person, object, or situation--that showed up unexpectedly in chapter 2 turns out to be pivotal to events in chapter 5 or 10 or 20. Something I left in even though I had no idea why.
- What is your least favorite part?
- The World of Lupi series in your own words?
Every novel ever written asks some version of the same question: what does it mean to be human? In the world of the Lupi, I ask that question, too--but with werewolves, a reformed demon, the occasional dragon, or--in my current release, BLOOD MAGIC--a Chinese demon.
- Any plans for more World of Lupi Books?
I'm contracted for 3 more, so yes. The one I'm working on now is titled BLOOD CHALLENGE.
- What are you working on right now?
It's hard for me to say much about a book before it's finished, because I'm not clear on what it's about while I'm still tromping around in the primordial ooze (a.k.a. "work in progress.") But in BLOOD CHALLENGE, Lily & Rule go up against Humans First and the man who started that hate group--and another, much more dangerous enemy. And Benedict's worst fear comes to pass.
- Do you have any advice or tip to those like me that want to become a published Author someday?
Stubborn counts for a lot. I quit writing plenty of times. It never stuck. Also, reach out to other writers who are roughly at your level of experience. I learned how to edit my own work by participating in a wonderful critique group, and you know what they say: the real writing happens in the rewriting.
- Anything you would like to say to your fans out there?
Make time for yourselves--time to read, to exercise, to sleep in. Be honest. Be kind. Sing in the shower, along with the radio, or whenever and wherever else you damn well please. Hug someone. And visit me at my website: http//www.eileenwilks.com. We just redid it, and I'm tickled with the results.
Thanks so much for stopping by and answering my questions Eileen =)
~~~~~THIS GIVEAWAY IS OVER!~~~~~~
Now to the giveaway!
Eileen has been kind enough to offer a signed copy of Blood Magic, Books 6 in the World of Lupi series!
The Giveaway is International and will run until Feb. 11th!
All you gave to do is leave a comment on this post!
- Please leave a way to contact you, if you don't I will not enter you in the contest.
- If you do not feel comfortable leaving an email address, you can email your info to email@example.com after leaving your comment here =)
For extra entries:
+5 if you are a Blog Follower (Google friend connect)
+5 if you are a Blog Follower (Networked Blogs)
+3 if you are a Twitter Follower (@larissa_sarah)
+3 if you are a Facebook Fan of Welcome to Larissa's Life
Thanks for tuning in and I'll see you soon!